Heron was from Alexandria and he was a mechanic and a geometer. He lived in Alexandria in the first century B.C. or the first century A.D.
He invented the aeropile. It was the first steam engine in history. It is said that he followed the theory of the atoms and the engineering drawings of Philon. As a basis for his works he used the ideas of Ctecibius.
Inventions and achievements
- He invented a fountain that was working with compressed air.
- He invented the pipettes (or syringe).
- He invented a threading machine with wooden screws.
- He invented a vending machine for water.
- He invented a wind wheel
- He invented the odometre. It was an individual construction which could be fitted in any chariot. It was made of a complex of gear wheels and drills that could transport the motion of the wheels. Then, they could convert it in length units.
- He invented a force pump. It was widely used in the Roman world and one of its applications was in a fire engine.
Georgia Kalantzi, Grade 2, 2nd Junior High School of Paralia